Senior DevOps & Infrastructure Engineer
Outlier helps people discover interesting, actionable insights in the sea of their business data. We are leading the creation of a new class of tools called Automated Business Intelligence.
We’re growing incredibly quickly, both in the amount of data we need to process and in the number of developers we have working on our codebase.
As our needs grow, our infrastructure and developer experience need to evolve with them. We’re looking for an experienced infrastructure person, who is comfortable with both helping developers go faster, safer, and with keeping production infrastructure running as we scale.
We know this is two distinct roles, so we’re not expecting perfection in all areas; we’re after someone who is strong in some areas and happy to learn in the others.
You will help us build a product that addresses an important, unsolved problem in business intelligence, on a team that solves problems together, learns from one another, and continuously seeks to improve itself. Help us build and launch new features and automated analyses, improve our platform, and watch your work impact your fellow engineers, the broader Outlier team, and our customers!
As a DevOps & Infrastructure Engineer at Outlier, you will:
- Work on a variety of different challenges across our stack – we use Kubernetes on both AWS and Google Cloud. We script in bash, and are moving to Go.
- Work with our product developers to improve their developer experience.
- Help us observe and improve our systems as they scale.
To be a great fit for the position, you:
- Are an experienced individual contributor who has a record of shipping work. You’ve been the technical lead on projects.
- Know Terraform or CloudFormation, and are really comfortable scripting repeatable infrastructure.
- Like being part of a team, with strong written and oral communication skills. You don’t need to be a native English speaker! We’re not after perfect grammar and spelling; we’re after the ability and desire to communicate.
- Are focused on helping users be successful.
- Are constantly looking to learn and improve.
We are a family- and life-friendly company. Lots of us have young children, illnesses both visible and invisible, and other commitments. That’s life. We adapt. Outlier has two offices, and a growing number of remote employees already. Both of our offices have standing work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Thursdays, to give our office-based employees more flexibility in their lives.
Our hiring process involves a take-home challenge. It allows us to have a concrete discussion with each other about something real, and allows you to get a sense of what it would be like to work at Outlier. We’re aware that there are downsides to take-home challenges, but we do believe it strikes the best balance between being respectful of your time and giving us both enough signal to decide that we want to work with each other.