In episode 103 of Data Driven Discussions, Sean Byrnes, co-founder and CEO of Outlier, speaks with Ari Akerstein, an expert on e-commerce and formerly one of the product leaders at Walmart.com.
We all buy things online, but it is not clear from the outside how data is used to turn a clicks on a website into cardboard boxes on our doorsteps. Ari walks us through how one of the world’s largest e-commerce companies uses data to build and optimize e-commerce products.
“We have more data coming in than we know how to actually handle and extract meaning from.” – Ari Akerstein, former Principal Product Manager, Walmart.com
In this discussion we’ll answer a lot of questions about this industry, including:
- Overview of the complexity involved in measuring how a product flows through all touch points on an online retail site. (1:07)
- A discussion on first-party vs. third-party sellers and the nuances involved in showing the right offer on an item page. (3:28)
- How organizations work to make data-driven decisions. An example of using data in working with buyers on a major site redesign. (9:55)
- Where data goes wrong or can lead data-driven organizations astray – how dashboards can mislead an organization. (11:52)
- The future of data-driven organizations: using data to create feedback loops to improve decision velocity and effectiveness. (17:51)
Listen to the episode below:
July 25, 2017 | Host: Sean Byrnes, co-founder and CEO of Outlier
If you enjoyed this episode and want to hear more, leave us a review and subscribe to Data Driven Discussions on Apple Podcasts.